Current Mer-Reads: Frazier, Madigan and more
The Mermaids love to read, read, read!
Right now Shelley is diving into Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier.
Thirteen Moons is set in the mid-nineteenth century. It is loosely based on the life of William Holland Thomas, a Confederate Army officer during the American Civil War and Principal Chief of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians—the only white man to ever hold that position. Thirteen Moons depicts the social and political climate preceding and following the Cherokee Removal from the ancestral homeland of the Cherokee Nation in what is today Western North Carolina.
This historical novel is a beautifully constructed story filled with lush word pictures and eloquent, almost poetic prose. If you loved Frazier's first novel, Cold Mountain, you will be thrilled with this his second novel.
What's on Mermaid Shelley's Nightstand
To say I love books is an understatement! Books are my friends. I delight in playing the Book Fairy at every one's birthday, as well as at Christmas.
What I'm reading at the moment
- Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier
- I'm Proud of You by Tim Madigan
- Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan
Some of my favorites...know that picking only a few is difficult and I'm likely to change this list:
- The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte
- Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
- Possession by A.S. Byatt
- The Bible and Webster's Dictionary!
What's on Mermaid Debbie’s Nightstand
I love to read. I love it so much that it is difficult to pick favorites. There are so many books and so many reasons to love almost all of them.
What I am reading right now
- Defy Gravity: Healing Beyond The Bounds Of Reason, by Caroline Myss
- Where Women Create, (a magazine that reads like a beautiful book)
- Where Women Cook, (a magazine that reads like a beautiful book)
- The Bible
Here are my top five favorites, (for now) in no particular order. I do reserve the right to change my mind at any moment!
- The Shellseekers by Rosamund Pilcher
- The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
- The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett (The first novel I ever read)
- Night Gardening by E.L. Swann
- The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
Highballs High Heels from the best-selling authors of Atomic Cocktails, Patio Daddy-O, and Dude Food is a perfect guide for the hostess with the mostest. Or the one who wants to be! Authors, Karen Brooks, Gideon Bosker, and Reed Darmonwent all out in this must-have cocktail guide for the sassy, smart, shoe-loving girl. From detailed lists and pictures of all the tools and accessories for the perfect mixologist, to how to make your own infusions, to just the most fun cocktails with great names... this book will inspire you to be prettier, sexier, smarter and certainly more fun! Read more...
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years Donald Miller had an opportunity to look down the road he was traveling, to see into the future he was creating. After writing his memoir, Blue Like Jazz, he was contacted by two movie produces to create a film about his life. However, they suggested changes to settings, activities and such that would make the movie more interesting. Read more...
Check out more Mermaid Book Reviews! See more...
This beautiful and healthy fruit dish can be served as part of brunch buffet, as well as a light dessert. Make this and your family will know they are loved.
View all recipes ...
If you are having trouble getting to your workouts, have no fear - Exercise TV is here!
View all products ...
View all ideas ...